The Duolingo English Test (DET) is a computer-based English competency test for overseas students. In comparison to other English language competency assessments, it is quick, easy, and inexpensive. It’s a contemporary English proficiency test designed to assist international students and institutions. You may take the exam from the comfort of your own home using a computer and a camera; there is no need to schedule an appointment or drive to a testing center.
The popularity of Duolingo English tests is growing. Many overseas schools accept Duolingo as a prerequisite. Like Monash College in Australia, California State University in the USA, Brandon University in Canada, and Schiller International University in Germany, the Duolingo English exam is approved worldwide.
Many universities and colleges worldwide need evidence that you have a sufficient command of the English language. An English language exam, such as the SAT, ACT, PTE, IELTS, TOEFL, is frequently used to demonstrate this competency. Unfortunately, owing to the coronavirus pandemic, some of these experiments have been put on hold.
However, you don’t have to worry if you need an English proficiency exam. Several colleges in the United States and the United Kingdom now recognize the Duolingo English Exam, a 60-minute online test with instant results.
Countries and Universities Accepting the Duolingo English Test
- Duolingo Scoring Explained
- What are the Advantages of Taking Duolingo English Test?
- Do Countries or Universities Accept Duolingo English Test Scores?
- Which US Universities and Colleges Accept Duolingo English Test?
- Which Canadian Universities and Colleges Accept Duolingo English Test?
- Which Colleges and Universities in the UK Accept Duolingo English Test?
- Which Australian Universities and Colleges Accept Duolingo English Test?
- Which Colleges and Universities in New Zealand Accept Duolingo English Test?
- Which Other Universities and Countries Accept Duolingo English Test?
- What are the Popular Courses to Study Abroad?
- FAQs About Universities Accepting the Duolingo English
Duolingo Scoring Explained
The Duolingo English Test assesses your ability to read, write, talk, and listen. The competence of a test taker is provided as a holistic score on a scale of 160 points, with 5 point increments. The Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR), an international benchmark of language ability, is used to calculate the results.
It is a common misconception that Duolingo is simpler than tests like IELTS and TOEFL. In addition, it is also intended to evaluate solid language abilities, as are both of the previous tests. Duolingo scores are compared to IETLS and TOEFL scores to obtain comparable results in terms of percentile ranks. This also includes confirmation of the integrity of Duolingo test scores.
What are the Advantages of Taking Duolingo English Test?
Taking the Duolingo exam has many advantages. Below are the reasons why you should take DET instead:
- Accessibility – The most significant benefit of the Duolingo English Test is that you can complete it from the comfort of your own home. This may not have been an advantage before the pandemic. Still, with the pandemic now affecting our lives, Duolingo has emerged as the most viable option for conducting English proficiency tests at this time. Although IELTS just developed its online exam called IELTS Indicator, Duolingo has already carved itself a significant market share and has become one of the most convenient solutions for students and institutions.
- Affordability – Unlike other English proficiency tests, which may cost up to USD 200, Duolingo is just USD 49. This is a huge relief for students who want to study abroad since they have a lot of expenditures to deal with, and anything that may help them save even a little money makes a big difference.
- Faster Results – Compared to IELTS orTOEFL, which takes roughly 4 to 5 days to announce the results, this exam offers the results within 24 to 48 hours. When compared to other English proficiency tests, Duolingo’s results are quicker.
- Time Limits – The exam lasts 45 to60 minutes instead of 2 hours and 45 minutes for the IELTS. As a result, in comparison to other standard examinations, the time investment is significantly reduced.
- Flexibility – Another feature that distinguishes this English exam from others is its flexibility. Duolingo tests may be taken anywhere, at any time, as long as you have access to the internet.
- Practice Tests – This test also allows students to take many mock tests before taking the real examination, providing them with all the necessary information for the final exam.
Do Countries or Universities Accept Duolingo English Test Scores?
The number of colleges that accept Duolingo examinations is growing, with more putting their faith in the program. As previously stated, the Duolingo test is recognized in numerous countries. As a result, Duolingo is accepted by a variety of colleges.
- United States of America
- United Kingdom
- New Zealand
- South Korea
- European countries (Austria, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain)
Over 2,000 schools presently accept the Duolingo English exam. The following are some of the well-known colleges that accept the Duolingo test:
Which US Universities and Colleges Accept Duolingo English Test?
Yale University, NYU Stern School of Business, Cornell University’s Johnson School of Management, and the University of Illinois Urbana Campaign’s College of Business are approximately some of the 300+ institutions that accept the Duolingo English exam in the US. We’ve listed here the top 20 US universities that accept the DET Scores:
Times Higher Education
1 Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) 120 to 125 5 Harvard University 125 6 California Institute of Technology (Caltech) 105/120 10 University of Chicago 105 13 University of Pennsylvania 120 14 Yale University 120 19 Columbia University 120 21 Cornell University 120 23 University of Michigan-Ann Arbor 105 25 Johns Hopkins University 120 30 Northwestern University 85 to 90 32 The University of California, Berkeley (UCB) 115 40 The University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) 120 42 New York University (NYU) 125 48 The University of California, San Diego (UCSD) 110 50 Duke University 115 53 Carnegie Mellon University 120 60 Brown University 120 75 University of Wisconsin-Madison 120 82 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign 125
- Does Harvard Accept Duolingo English Test?
Which Canadian Universities and Colleges Accept Duolingo English Test?
TOEFL Vocabulary Words | TOEFL Voca...
TOEFL Vocabulary Words | TOEFL Voca...
Approximately 150 Canadian colleges accept Duolingo for entrance reasons, according to the Duolingo website. Take a look at some of the top 20 institutions in Canada that accept the Duolingo English Test score:
Times Higher Education
26 University of Toronto 120 27 McGill University 115 46 University of British Columbia 100 111 Université de Montréal 90 to 120 126 University of Alberta 120 149 University of Waterloo 120 170 Western University 100 to 115 235 University of Calgary 95 to 115 240 Queen’s University at Kingston 95 to 100 272 Dalhousie University 115 298 Simon Fraser University 125 458 University of Saskatchewan 105 – Concordia University 120 – University of Guelph 110 – University of Manitoba 115 – University of New Brunswick – Saint John 115 – University of Windsor 120 – Memorial University of Newfoundland 115 – Ryerson University 115 – Brock University 110
- Duolingo English Test Scores for the Top Universities in Canada
Which Colleges and Universities in the UK Accept Duolingo English Test?
As of 2021, 68 universities in the United Kingdom have accepted the Duolingo English Proficiency exam. The following is the list of the top 20 Duolingo accepted universities in the UK with their minimum DET score requirement:
|Times Higher Education|
|7||Imperial College London||110 to 120|
|35||King’s College London||115|
|61||The University of Warwick||125|
|73||University of Glasgow||105|
|77||University of Southampton||120|
|90||University of Birmingham||100 to 120|
|95||The University of Sheffield||110 to 120|
|149||The University of Exeter||115 to125|
|151||Cardiff University||110 to140|
|151||University of York||115|
|166||University of Bath||120|
|202||University of Reading||105|
|205||University of Aberdeen||105|
|216||Queen’s University Belfast||95 to 100|
|226||University of Sussex||105|
|272||University of Surrey||120|
|302||University of Strathclyde||90 to 100|
|322||University of Dundee||105|
|330||City, University of London||105|
Which Australian Universities and Colleges Accept Duolingo English Test?
Duolingo is increasingly becoming recognized for entrance reasons by a rising number of colleges in Australia and worldwide. Currently, there are approximately 80 institutions accepting DET scores for the unforeseeable future. The following is the list of the top 20 Duolingo accepted universities in Australia with their minimum DET score requirement:
Times Higher Education
27 The Australian National University 100 43 University of New South Wales 100 43 The University of New South Wales (UNSW Sydney) 100 58 Monash University 75 to 105 194 Curtin University 120 200 Macquarie University 120 213 Queensland University of Technology (QUT) 80 to 100 283 Deakin University 85 to 95 290 Griffith University 110 321 Swinburne University of Technology 95 to 100 362 La Trobe University 100 to 110 407 Flinders University 95 to 100 436 University of Canberra 100 – Victoria University 85 – Edith Cowan University 85 – Charles Darwin University 85 to 110 – Southern Cross University 120 – University of New England Australia 100 7778 JMC Academy 105 to 110 11732 Kaplan Business School 100
Which Colleges and Universities in New Zealand Accept Duolingo English Test?
As of 2021, approximately 30 universities in New Zealand accept the Duolingo English Proficiency exam. Below is there top 3 Duolingo accepted universities in New Zeland with their minimum DET score requirement:
|Times Higher Education|
|691||Victoria University of Wellington||110|
Which Other Universities and Countries Accept Duolingo English Test?
The Duolingo English exam is now accepted at over 3,000 institutions worldwide. Below is the list of Duolingo accepted universities in other countries with their minimum DET score requirement:
|Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University (APU) (Japan)||120|
|Temple University Japan Campus (Japan)||110|
|University of Aizu (Japan)||100 to 120|
|The State University of New York, Korea (SUNY Korea)||120|
|The American University of Afghanistan – Kabul (Afghanistan)||105|
Europe (Outside the UK)
|European Leadership University (Cyprus)||95 to 115|
|University of Applied Sciences Europe (Germany)||95|
|Central European University – Undergraduate Admissions (Hungary)||110|
|Schiller International University, Paris Campus (France)||95|
|Nelson Mandela University (South Africa)||115|
|African Leadership University (Rwanda)||100|
|Universidad Veritas||100 to 120|
|The University of Hertfordshire – Egypt Branch Hosted by Global Academic Foundation||120|
|Ryerson University Cairo Campus||115|
|Universidad de los Llanos||110|
|Universidad del Golfo de México Rectoría Centro||90 to 120|
|Universidad Isaac Newton||105|
|Universidad Católica de Salta||110|
|Universidad Central de Chile||115|
- You may visit the DET official website for more information on the list of the universities accepting the Duolingo English Test score.
What are the Popular Courses to Study Abroad?
International students are increasingly choosing to study overseas rather than in their home country. With more courses available, students’ employment options have increased. Among the many courses offered, a handful is particularly popular with students.
- Engineering: Despite being one of the most challenging degrees and careers globally, engineering courses have long been popular. If you want to study engineering at one of the most outstanding universities globally, Canada is one of the most affordable possibilities. However, the top countries for Engineering courses are Russia, the USA, the UK, Indonesia, and Japan which all accept DET scores.
- Computer Science: Worldwide, demand for Computer Science courses has surged. A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science provides a solid foundation in Information Technology. High-ranking universities for Computer Science programs are in Belgium, Singapore, Taiwan, Canada, the USA, and the UK. And some of the best universities for this program are the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Carnegie Mellon University, and McGill University.
- Information Technology: IT is a new industry born by growth and developing technology breakthroughs. The IT industry is booming. This course covers software, databases, and networking, emphasizing the mathematical and theoretical underpinnings of computing. And the best countries for you are the USA, Germany, Canada, the United Kingdom, China, and Japan.
- Business Management: The MBA is one of the world’s most prestigious and sought-after degrees. More than 60% of foreign colleges offer the degree. Typical MBA courses include accounting, Applied Statistics, and Business Communication. If you want to pursue this course, we recommend studying business administration in these countries: the USA, Spain, Switzerland, Germany, and France.
- Medicine: After completing degree programs, medical students typically span five years or more at the undergraduate level and four years at the graduate level. Medical professionals are well-respected all around the globe, and studying medicine is a noble pursuit. The best countries for this program are Ukraine, Russia, Germany, the USA, and the United Kingdom.
- Law: Those seeking legal employment often choose law degrees. A legal license is issued following a written test and may be used locally, nationally, or internationally. Law and Economics, Litigation, Maritime Law, Military Law, Patent Law, Real Estate, Social Care Law, Telecommunications Law, and Trade Law are covered in LL.M. programs. The top countries for these programs are the USA, the UK, Singapore, Germany, and Japan.
- Humanities: Sociology is the study of society and its interactions. Moreover, the social sciences include fields such as Anthropology, Archaeology, Economics, and Psychology. UK, USA, Japan, Italy, Germany, and Spain are the best countries. The top institutions offering these programs that accept Duolingo English Test scores are Yale University, Princeton University, and the University of California, Berkeley.
- Travel and Tourism: A Hospitality Management degree focuses on the hospitality business. A degree in this discipline is granted by a hotel management university, college, or even a business institution. Hospitality management degrees are sometimes known as Hotel and Tourism Management or Hotel Administration. International Tourism Management is a degree program that emphasizes cross-cultural, social, and professional skills.
- Accounting: Accountants and auditors must have a bachelor’s degree in accounting. A degree in accounting may also be necessary for professional accounting groups. Chartered Accountancy and other professional accounting degrees and certifications are available. The top countries best suitable for this course are the USA, Germany, Sweden, Austria, and the UK.
- Fashion Design: A Bachelor of Design (B.Des.) is an undergraduate degree in design earned after three or four years of study. More so, this degree is also popular in Canada, Australia, and now the US.
FAQs About Universities Accepting the Duolingo English
Is Duolingo English Test be Accepted for 2022 intakes?
Yes! Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, some institutions accept the Duolingo English Test and the IELTS or TOEFL examinations for admissions in the spring and autumn of 2022. However, you have to further check any updates on your chosen university as some institutions only require the DET scores temporarily.
Why Do Universities Prefer the Duolingo English Test?
Due to its multiple advantages to students and institutions, several colleges and schools are still experimenting with Duolingo as a viable English evaluation method. Other examinations, especially those with limited time windows, require students to travel and be physically present at the testing locations. On the other hand, universities find it simple to maintain track of test grades because of Duolingo’s online services. As a result, institutions may assess an applicant with less time and effort. To register for the English exam, candidates must go to the official Duolingo website. With your scores, video interview, and writing examples, universities that accept the Duolingo test assess your English speaking abilities. As a result, you’re giving them a taste of your English prowess.
Is the Duolingo English Test Score Accepted for Visa application?
There are presently no appropriate online language examinations for immigration purposes. It is not permissible to use Duolingo. However, it is accepted for study permit application in Canada if you are applying via Student Direct Stream (SDS). The Student Direct Stream (SDS) program expedites the processing of study permits for persons who want to study in Canada at a recognized post-secondary designated learning institution (DLI). The SDS is open to legal residents of Antigua & Barbuda, Brazil, and China.
How Valid and Authentic is a Duolingo English Test Certificate?
The validity of the Duolingo English exam is two years. Once you receive the scores, you should submit them immediately from the results website to the educational institutions, and there is no time restriction on sending the score files. You may send the score summary to as many institutions as you desire. However, if you wish to use it for your desired institution, better check their admission policies of intakes as some universities have a restricted timeline of valid DET certificates. The online aspect of the examination raises numerous issues about the legitimacy of the results since students may easily cheat. This was once a serious test constraint, but they have recently devised various workarounds. The applicant must prove their identification during the video interview, which human proctors also verify. These exams utilize sophisticated software that records the candidate’s eye movements and detects unethical exam-passing techniques. Thus, the Duolingo test seeks to reduce exam cheating.
What is Considered a Good Duolingo English Test score for University Applicants?
On a scale of 10 to 160, the Duolingo English Test is graded. Most institutions will need a Duolingo English Test score of about 100, with some top universities requiring 120. Hence, a total score of 120 or above is required of competitive candidates. This score is comparable to grades 7 and higher on the traditional IELTS, according to the Duolingo IELTS score conversion.